Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Brother's Keeper

First, a few definitions:

The sin of commission: A sin that was deliberately committed. Something I did when I shouldn't have.

“For he who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and
that without partiality.” --Col 3:25


The sin of omission: Not doing that which I know to be the right thing to do.

“Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.”
--James 4:17


Recently, I thought of (or the Holy Spirit gave me a download of...) an example of this: A man is standing on the edge of a cliff, ready at any moment to fall off of it. If I were to stand there staring while he slipped and fell off of the cliff, would I be innocent of his death, or would I be just as guilty as if I pushed him off?

Recently a friend of mine had attempted to take his own life. God intervened (thank You, Jesus!), but I was reminded of how often I had been moved to call him, invite him over to spend some time, visit with the family, and just never got around to it. I'm reminded of how the last time I spent time with him he was so broken. And I never followed up. Never reached out. Not even a phone call.

I'm the guy who just stood there while my friend fell off of a cliff. How can I even call myself his friend?

I understand that we are all responsible men and women, that we will all answer for every idle word, and that we are responsible for our own actions, and that my buddy is ultimately responsible for his.

Then again, I think of how often I was down and out, about to do something stupid, when a friend showed up to encourage me, to lift me up, build me up, give me hope, remind me of God's great love for me! How often has that happened? It's been more than once.

37 "Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink?  38 And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You?  39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'  40 The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.” --Matt 25:37-40

I wonder how often I have labeled my sweet brothers and sisters in Christ. I wonder how often I have labeled them “needy,” “high-maintenance,” “immature,” “time-consuming,” or “difficult.” I wonder how often I was too busy trying to get to lunch or to sleep or to the TV and left my brother hurting. I wonder how often my self-absorption has contributed to my lack of compassion. I wonder what the Lord will say to me about these times when I see Him face to face. I wonder if anyone will die because of what I “didn't have the time” for. I wonder if anyone is dying inside right now.

4 “For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."  15 But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another.  16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.” --Gal 5:14-16.

Have I consumed my brother for lack of love? Or have I displayed the fruit of the Spirit?

22 “...the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control....” --Gal. 5:22-23


Have I been gentle? Loving? Patient? Kind? Have I been faithful?

“Lord, in Jesus' name, please forgive us for our lack of attention to our brothers and sisters. Let us be witnesses for You in our actions, and we pray our brothers forgive us when we fall short. Let us all be reconciled to each other as we have been reconciled to You by the blood of the cross. Let us exemplify John 13:35-- “By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment